You’ve had your complimentary consultation and your CoolSculpting® treatment plan has been mapped out for you. Now you’ve decided to have the procedure done! You’re excited to get to a slimmer you, but may also be a little nervous. We have performed hundreds of CoolSculpting® procedures and it is a very safe, non-surgical procedure. However, to help put your mind at ease we’ve put together some helpful guidelines for before and after your procedure to make your experience easier and smoother, and to get you the best results possible.
What to do the week before your treatment:
- Wear sunblock. If you’re treating an area that is exposed to the sun and you get a sunburn we will not be able to treat you until it fades, as it can make the treatment area more sensitive.
- Avoid medications or supplements that can thin your blood. Some examples are aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oils, St. Johns Wort, Vitamin E, and Ginkgo biloba. These are blood thinners that could increase you’re bruising. However, please speak to your primary care physician beforehand to make sure it’s okay to discontinue them for a short period, or to see if they may suggest alternative medications/supplements.
- The CoolSculpting® procedure does have the potential to cause bruising in the treatment areas. If you feel you bruise easily, we recommend starting the supplement Arnica Montana about three days prior to your appointment and for three days after.
- Avoid compromising the skin in the treatment area. If an excessive bruise, open lesion/wound, or rash are in the CoolSculpting® treatment area we may need to postpone to prevent your wound from getting worse.
What to do the day of your treatment:
- Please have a light meal prior to our appointment. Some patients experience light headedness if they have the CoolSculpting® treatment on an empty stomach, so to avoid this we recommend eating prior to your arrival.
- We recommend, if possible, to wear loose comfortable clothing. There is a gel pad applied to the treatment area in order to protect the skin, we do provide disposable undergarments to wear, but if you prefer your own please make sure they are clothing you would not mind potentially getting gel on.
- Be prepared to have photos taken. We take before and after photos so we can easily see the improvements from the treatment.
- We do provide Netflix for your viewing pleasure as it helps the time pass by more quickly however, if you prefer please feel free to bring a laptop, tablet, or book to help pass the time. We also provide complimentary WiFi access for our guests.
What to expect after your treatment:
- Typically, there is minimal discomfort and recovery time after the CoolSculpting® procedure. Most patients can return to their daily routine immediately after the procedure.
- Patients may experience redness in the treated area for up to a few hours after the applicator is removed. In rare cases, it may persist for up to two weeks.
- Many patients have minimal discomfort following the procedure; however, you may experience one or more of the following sensations: swelling, itching, tingling, numbness, tenderness to the touch, pain in the treated area, cramping, aching, bruising and/or skin sensitivity. Consult your clinician if these conditions persist beyond two weeks or worsen over time.
- Following the procedure, a gradual reduction in the thickness of the fat layer will take place. You may start to see changes as early as three weeks after the CoolSculpting® procedure, and you will experience the most dramatic results after one to three months. Your body will continue to naturally process the injured fat cells from your body for approximately four months after your procedure.
- In rare cases, patients have reported darker skin color, hardness, discrete nodules, freeze burn, enlargement of the treated area, hernia or worsening on existing hernia following the CoolSculpting® procedure. Surgical intervention may be required to correct the enlargement or hernia.
- Weight gain will prevent you from appreciating your full results. Maintain a healthy diet and exercise routing after your procedure to continue appreciating your full results.
For any reason, feel free to call us at Elite Aesthetics: 781-559-3433